It is currently the oldest StepMania version available on the internet.
It was released back in October 12th, 2001, during a time when DDR Simulators were starting to gain attention.
This build didn't follow any kind of DDR game in particular in terms of design. It focused mainly on the Gameplay elements.
It comes bundled with 7 songs, 2 of which were complete with audio: "Telephone Operator" and "era (nostalmix)". The rest had to be supplied.
- This version only loaded DWI (Dance With Intensity) files, the SM standard did not exist until much later.
- This build is one of the few that includes a "Check for Updates" option on the Title Screen.
- This particular version is quite remembered due to some graphics, being made directly out of WordArt, a features that is on Microsoft Office. The most clear example is right on the Title Screen, on the text "MAX".
- Holds do not give any score whatsoever. However, they still count in evaluation.
- Although the file structure of Stepfiles in this version is quite messy (Music in music/, DWIs in DWIs/ and images in Backgrounds/ Banners/), you can actually still restructure the stepfile to look somewhat to the current structure of SM stepfiles.
- Don't load ogg files into this. Seriously, it crashes the game.